GATE Exam Pattern and Duration

August 6, 2015

GATE Exam Pattern and Duration

gate Pattern of Question Papers and Marking Scheme:

Exam PatternThe GATE examination consists of a single paper of 3-hour duration that contains 65 questions

carrying a maximum of 100 marks. The question paper will consist of both multiple choice questions (MCQ) and numerical answer type questions.

The examination for all the papers will be carried out in an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) mode where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen. The candidates are required to either select the answer (for MCQ type) or enter the answer for numerical answer type question using a mouse on a virtual keyboard (keyboard of the computer will be disabled).

Candidates will be provided with scribble pad for rough work and these have to be returned back after the examination.

At the end of the 3-hour window, the computer will automatically close the screen from further actions.

gate Pattern of Questions

Papers In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks are in General Aptitude (GA). In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper. 23 In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.

GATE would contain questions of two different types in various papers:

  • Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
  • Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions.
Design of Questions

The questions in a paper may be designed to test the following abilities:

  • Recall: These are based on facts, principles, formulae or laws of the discipline of the paper.
  • Comprehension: These questions will test the candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field, by requiring him/her to draw simple conclusions from fundamental ideas.
  • Application: In these questions, the candidate is expected to apply his/her knowledge either through computation or by logical reasoning
  • Analysis and Synthesis: In these questions, the candidate is presented with data, diagrams, images etc. that require analysis before a question can be answered. A Synthesis question might require the candidate to compare two or more pieces of information. Questions in this category could, for example, involve candidates in recognizing unstated assumptions, or separating useful information from irrelevant information.
Marking Scheme
  • For 1-mark multiple-choice questions, 1/3 marks will be deducted for a wrong answer.
  • Likewise, for 2-mark multiple-choice questions, 2/3 marks will be deducted for a wrong answer.
  • NO negative marking for numerical answer type questions.

General Aptitude (GA) Questions: In all papers, GA questions carry a total of 15 marks. The GA section includes 5 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 5 questions carrying 2- marks each (sub-total 10 marks).

Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL: These papers would contain 25 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 25 marks) and 30 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 60 marks). The question paper will consist of questions of multiple choice and numerical answer type. For numerical answer questions, choices will not be given. Candidates have to enter the answer (which will be a real number, signed or unsigned, e.g., 25.06, – 25.06, 25, -25 etc.) using a virtual keypad. An appropriate range will be considered while evaluating the numerical answer type questions so that the candidate is not penalized due to the usual round-off errors.

Also Read: GATE 2016 SYLLABUS

GG (Geology and Geophysics) Paper: Apart from the General Aptitude (GA) section, the GG question paper consists of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is common for all candidates. Part B contains two sections: Section 1 (Geology) and Section 2 (Geo-physics). Candidates will have to attempt questions in Part A and either Section 1 or Section 2 in Part B. 25 Part A consists of 25 multiple-choice questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 25 marks and some of these may be numerical answer type questions). Each section in Part B (Section 1 and Section 2) consists of 30 multiple choice questions carrying 2- marks each (sub-total 60 marks and some of these may be numerical answer type questions).

XE Paper (Engineering Sciences): In XE paper, Engineering Mathematics section (Section A) is compulsory. This section contains 11 questions carrying a total of 15 marks: 7 questions carrying 1- mark each (sub-total 7 marks), and 4 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 8 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type questions. Each of the other sections of the XE paper (Sections B through G) contains 22 questions carrying a total of 35 marks: 9 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 9 marks) and 13 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 26 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type.

XL Paper (Life Sciences): In XL paper, Chemistry section (Section H) is compulsory. This section contains 15 questions carrying a total of 25 marks: 5 questions carrying 1-mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 10 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 20 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type. Each of the other sections of the XL paper (Sections I through M) contains 20 questions carrying a total of 30 marks: 10 questions carrying 1-mark each (subtotal 10 marks) and 10 questions carrying 2-marks each (sub-total 20 marks). Some questions may be of numerical answer type.

Note on Negative Marking for Wrong Answers For a wrong answer chosen for the multiple choice questions (MCQs), there would be negative marking. For 1-mark multiple choice questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark multiple choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. However, there is NO negative marking for a wrong answer in numerical answer type questions.

 

CLICK HERE FOR GATE 2016 NOTIFICATION AND SCHEDULE