Know About Gate 2018 Exam Pattern
GATE 2018 exam pattern includes information about number of questions asked in the exam, number of sections, marking scheme and time duration. It is conducted for admission to M.E./M.Tech/Direct Ph.D programmes in IITs, NITs, GFTI and other private institutions. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is organized by seven zonal IITs and an IISc rotationally. GATE 2018 exam will be conducted by the IIT, Guwahati on 3rd – 4th February & 10th – 11th February 2018.
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern
The examination of GATE for 23 papers will be conducted in online mode only (Computer Based Test). Students can appear only one paper. GATE 2018 examination will be held during forenoon (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) and afternoon (12:00 PM to 5:00 PM) sessions of weekends. GATE will also be conducted in International centres and the session timings at as per their local time.
The question paper consists of both multiple-choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type (NAT). For objective type questions, there are multiple options available out of which students have to choose only the right answer. For numerical answer type questions, candidates have to enter a number using the virtual keyword available on the computer screen during the examination.
Number of Questions: The question paper of GATE will contain 65 questions of maximum 100 marks.
Exam Duration: 3 hours
Check the GATE paper and paper codes for GATE 2018 from the below table:
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
Exam Pattern for Various Papers
- In the papers of AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, Engineering Mathematics will carry 15% marks of total marks, General Aptitude section will contain 15% marks and rest of the 70% marks will be contained by the core subject of the paper.
- In the papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and remaining 85% marks will be carried by the core subject of the paper.
- The General Aptitude section 5 questions of 1 Mark and 5 questions of 2 marks.
- Question paper other than GG, XE and XL will contain 25 questions of 1 mark and 30 questions of 2
Also check GATE 2018 Registration Process
Also check GATE 2018 Eligibility Criteria
Also check GATE 2018 Examination Date
For XE Paper:
Candidate appearing XE paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section A – Engineering Mathematics (compulsory section) – contains 11 questions (7 questions of 1 mark and 4 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XE sections B to H – contains 22 questions (9 questions carrying 1 mark and 13 questions carrying 2 marks)
XE paper contains the following sections:
|Polymer Science and Engineering||F|
|Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences||H|
For XL Paper:
Candidate appearing XL paper has to attempt the following sections:
- Section P– Chemistry (compulsory section) – It contains 15 questions (5 questions of 1 marks and 10 questions of 2 marks)
- GA – General Aptitude
- Any two of XL sections Q to U – It contains 20 questions (10 questions of 1 mark and 10 questions of 2 marks)
XL Paper of GATE has the following sections:
Students can choose the sections during examination after viewing the questions.
For GG Paper:
The question paper will consist of two parts: Part A and Part B. Part A is common for all candidates where as Part B has 2 sections; Section-1 is of Geology and Section-2 is of Geophysics. In Part A, there are total 25 of 1 mark each. In Part B, each section contain 30 questions of 2 marks.
Note: Apart from core subject of the paper, General Aptitude (GA) is the common section in each paper of GATE.
|Questions Type||Marks||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||1 mark||0.33|
|Numerical Answer Questions||1 mark||Nil|